Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Girl in the Mirror




I was walking home from a voice lesson and it was kind of dark and shady outside. And I saw this puddle in the ditch that kind of called to me. So I leaned over and my reflection was so clear. Mainly just my outline, but I could see the sky and the trees behind me. So I ran inside and grabbed my camera. As I was taking the picture, I started to think about something that is probably a constant wonder to most of us. How people see me.




When I look into the mirror while I am putting my contacts in, in the early morning, I see one of two things depending how I have been feeling. I look into my eyes and reach down into my soul and see so much potential and drive and an underlying beauty just waiting to dance for someone. Or I see nothing. No potential. No drive. An underlying piece of crap. When I am feeling that internal beauty, it doesn't really matter to me what people are thinking, or what I wish or want or know they are thinking. I feel like just myself. A perfect Amelia. But when I am not, I walk down the hall, and I can't help but look into others eyes and wonder what they are thinking. Do they see potential? Do they see beauty? Do they see someone great? Or someone they know? Or am I easy to pass by. An outline like my reflection in the water. A figure or shape that is just walking past.



I want to make a lasting impression on people. I want to be someone who they will remember the face and the spirit, instead of just the outline.

No comments:

Post a Comment