Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Snow Day

You always hear how when a state (excluding Utah) gets about 2 seconds worth of snow and the whole city is completely shut down. Ever since we were little we have wished for a day like this. And today, it came. They have always said that it was take a mile of snow to even call one, so in a round about way, never in a million years.
Maple Mountain has been planning a precious little preforming arts assembly since the beginning of the school year, and I was in about 3 numbers. So, this morning I woke up, curled my hair, put on stage make-up all before I opening my curtains to see what was... a mile of snow. It was more snow than I had ever seen in my life. But it didn't click in my brain. I had a million other things running through my head. Snow is snow. That's not changing for me. So, I put on my Christmas sweater, hosted on my backpack, clipping the dorky strap across my chest just to show the world that I could handle the snow it threw at me, and began to walk up my stairs. Right then my phone began to vibrate off the wall. I received about 30 texts saying 'Snow Day!!' But, I didn't believe it. I wouldn't in fact. I mean, you can't trust a student, even if it was 30 different ones.
Kelsey, my ride texted me and told me that she was coming only a little late because she was stuck and she just had to finish scraping her car off, she said she would be there soon, and I was totally okay with it, as long as I made it to Mr. Roach's class that day I would be fine. He had said the last Friday that there would be a test today on Act 2: (of) Macbeth, and that he would be handing out a big term assignment that would be due by the end of Christmas break. And to be perfectly honest, I was excited to get it.
It had begun to be a while since I had received that text from Kelsey and the snow had just barely began to make me wonder. I jumped onto the computer and logged onto the Nebo District website.

SCHOOL HAS BEEN CANCELED FOR
ALL THE NEBO SCHOOL
DISTRICT SCHOOLS. NO SCHOOL TODAY.

what.

You have got to be kidding me. I was totally excited for this to day to perform and get... homework. Wow. So, I walked outside, shrugging my bag off my shoulders, out into the snow, and embraced it. It was like we had all been praying so hard for snow, but God was sleeping, and when he woke up, he had a million requests for snow, so he switched on the 'light snow' button and then fell back asleep for the rest of the day, accidentally leaving it on. Because, I swear all day it was just snowing lightly but it just kept building up and up.
We had a street driveway snow shoveling party that morning. And yes, we had more people than shovels. Then after, we went to Braden Rymers house while singing an extended version of 'Banana Pancakes' by Jack Johnson, while Susan made us actual banana pancakes. My life was complete.
Snow day is officially over, and God woke up and turned off the switch, for now, at least.

(I am still upset about not getting my assignment however.)

No comments:

Post a Comment