Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Alumni Singer

So there I was, entering the most well-built hell-hole I have ever seen. It was packed, there were people everywhere, old people, young people, thousands of choir students possibly the same size of Ghana, a little crying girl right behind me kicking my chair, dancing Junior high kids, loud clapping, people piled upon people, and long Christmas songs, it was a potent mix. And then I looked to my right where my mom was sitting, holding my hand, I knew that she felt the same way I did, and then I felt a small gaze on me. I looked past my mom and saw a little girl (sitting on her dad) just staring at me. Her eyes, were green. Or were they blue, actually it was pretty dark, so I am just going to say that they were gray. But they were just fixed on my own eyes. And then she gave me this little quirky smile, so weird and unusual and then the song ended and she jumped back to looking at the singers and then started waving her hands back and forth against each other. For a second I kind of forgot where I was sitting. I think I called it a hell-hole before? I forgot what I was tired of, or sad about, it was like she was looking right through me and into my soul. But after that one second of pure happiness, I immediately thought. 'What and I doing?' And then there were many more minutes that I just felt bad. I looked around again, and i thought, 'How am I not enjoying this?' And it was true, there were so many things to enjoy. The woman's chorus started singing a song about Mary. You know the one that is sung from her point of view. She said how she was only a young girl and how she had been carrying her father's son for many nights now, and she had be chosen for this great and very heavy burden, and it was really, really amazing. It was great. And then my little brother came on with all of those girls and posed as the monotone angel. it was quite adorable. And then Mrs. Bailey (my old choir teacher) asked all of the her old choir students in the audience to come up and sing Carol or the Bells with her Footnotes choir. It was the crowing jewel of the whole night. But anyways, what I was really getting at was that, I want to be just like that little gray-eyed girl. Sweet and innocent and just completely happy about everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment