Monday, December 20, 2010

Dinner Club


Dinner Club, though as rare and as special as it is, is most likely the best part of my Sundays. Which, isn't every Sunday, even though it should be. At dinner club, we get together with some friends (the long-lost camping buddies) and, have dinner. And do club things, such as; socialize and eat cheesecake, as we did this last Sunday. Even though I really don't like cheesecake, I like to watch people eat it. And can I just say that Eliza and Andrew are pro, but only when together.
With the camping buddies, there is an even amount of family members in each family. And, ironically, we are all about the same age as we go down the line. There was the older kids. (1 boy, 2 girls) the middle kids, (2 boys, 1 girl [me) and the little boys (3 boys.) But, just being where I was, I was always kind of tossed into the little boy category. And don't get me wrong, I am in love with the little boys, and I am in love with the idea of being a little boy. I am totally all for it actually. Throughout the last couple years, I have drifted from my little boys and fell back into the middle category. Only being few and certain circumstances when I join them. But at the last dinner club, there happened to be three tables. Those tables worked themselves out to be 6 (adults) 4 (big kids) and 4 (little boys) I thought harder than I should have at this little math problem. Yes, I would be returning to my 'little boys' stage for a couple hours. I was okay with this. We were all older, they might just be engaging. right?
We all stood in line, got food, and one by one made our ways back to the tables. I quietly took my rightful place at the little boys table and began to eat. Yes I was one of the first ones in line. Which was all for the better. I didn't want to cause a mess in placement by making someone unsure if I would be alright with the arrangement. But I carefully kept my eyes on the others as they began to make their own way back. The first two adults and two big kids sat down correctly. But then the next three teenage boys sat down at the adults table. I almost said. Hey. Wait a minute. Okay? I thought hard about this. I was good and sat with my 'clique' now you go and do the same. So adults then began to sit at the big kid table. But of course, all three little boys came and sat in the remaining three chairs by me. It was fine. I just concentrated on breathing. There was nothing wrong with the situation. Only, it was all out of order. But don't worry. I will eventually be fine.
I looked at the three and began to hope for that engaging conversation that I had expected before. I heard tales of Junior high lockers, and forks and their interesting nature, and the best of all when Dark Spore would be coming out on some kind of abc123 computer thing. I could hear the conversations swimming around at the other tables and began to realize that this wasn't going anywhere. I shoveled down the rest of my Chinese themed food and silently left the table.
I nonchalantly sat down at a table, where of course the food was almost gone, and with it the voices also. I had just missed everything. My spirits where low.
After the cheesecake as I mentioned before, we had tea, to accompany the theme. No one really enjoys tea their first time, so I found myself with more then one cup under my fingertips.
The goodbye was too early and much too quick. And I suddenly felt myself longing for another immediately.

1 comment:

  1. So cute. You are bigger than you think you are. You were absolutely awesome about the whole thing. Amazing blog. Thanks for inviting me.

    ReplyDelete